Pages

...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

homemade cleaners

I've been toying with the idea of homemade cleaners.  I've never really been one to think green, but I suppose lately I have been.  Maybe Austin is finally rubbing off on me.  Maybe before you know it I'll be a hippie.  A tree hugger.  A full blown environmentalist.  I mean...I already recycle paper, glass, cardboard, and plastic.  I have a compost trash too.  (All this thanks to my city trash system who provided 3 lovely 90 gallon trash bins, one for regular trash, one for recyling and one for compost materials.  Makes the chore of recycling so easy even I couldn't resist.  Plus my real trash bin is happy to only have 1-3 bags every trash pick up day.)  I've been thinking a lot about the things I put in and surround my body with.  It's sort of scary.  But the idea of making my own cleaners, detergent, soap, was sort of scary too.  That is until a woman I went to high school with started posting about the changes she was making in her house.  It seemed easy.  And if she could do it, I could do it.  So...about 4 months ago I made my very first batch of laundry detergent.  Thanks to Lindsey this task was so painless and I fell in love.  I made my own liquid hand soap the next day!  I then started looking at making cleaners too.

Saturday night Pinterest helped bring those thoughts to a reality.  As I was pinning my life away I stumbled upon several recipes for homemade cleaners.  As I browsed the sites and recipes I decided to go for it.  I made a list of the cleaners I wanted to make, and then I made my ingredient list.  It seemed like a lot, but as I scanned through I realized I already had the majority of what they all called for.

What I didn't have was liquid castile soap, squirt bottles, and a different essential oil than what I already had on hand.  I went out to buy not only these things but the stuff to make powdered laundry detergent too since I was running a bit low (I'll share that recipe in another post).

I found the liquid castile soap and the essential oils at Central Market.  The soap cost $9.29 for 16 ounces.  It seems like a lot of money for such a small bottle, but I only used a little over 1/4 cup tonight.  I have tons left for future cleaning mixtures!  I decided to get the lavender scented soap since I already had lavender essential oil at home.  Plus, lavender is my favorite!  What better way to finish cleaning your kitchen than with a calming aroma of lavender?  I had planned on picking up either tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil but after I smelled them I decided not to.  I didn't like them, not one bit.  I opted for lemon and orange instead.  A bright, fresh, and cheery pair of oil scents!  The lemon cost $4.99 and the orange was $3.99.  Not bad really for the amount you get...a little goes a long way with essential oils!



So here's my list of cleaners that I made tonight:
  • disinfectant
  • furniture polish
  • grease cutter
  • glass cleaner
  • fruit & vegetable wash
  • antibacterial spray
  • all purpose cleaner



I haven't yet used them all, but I did try out the disinfectant, the grease cutter, the glass cleaner, the antibacterial spray, and the all purpose cleaner.  And the survey says.....

 I AM IN LOVE.  In love with the smell.  In love with the price.  In love with the natural ingredients.  In love with the cleaning power. 

The glass cleaner worked so well that I question why I ever bought Windex.  I mean really...what's the point?  Never again.  I will make my own from now on!!!

The all purpose cleaner worked it's magic on my counter tops and sink.  Not only did it smell delightful, but it really did clean.  It tackled the dried on glop of 'whateverthatwas' like a pro.  I'm sold.  Sorry new bottle of 409, but you'll be tucked neatly away in the pantry floor as I won't be needing you...ever again.

The grease cutter, well...it cut grease.  I had made an awful mess of the olive oil bottle tonight and there was oil all over the sides of the bottle and lid.  I sprayed some grease cutter on a wet rag and wiped that bottle clean.  I was shocked at how well it worked.  I used it on my stove top as well and was very happy with the results.  Formula 409 works great but this works just as great too...and it smells better!!

I used the disinfectant too, but I didn't make it properly (I didn't have the water hot enough and so the borax didn't completely dissolve).  I used it on the sink after I had used the all purpose cleaner so who really knows what it did.  Just the thought that it was disinfecting suits me perfect.  The lingering scent of happy citrus and the thought of a sink clean enough to eat off of put a smile on my face.  I think I shall still use it, but as an afterthought to the all purpose cleaner.

And then to finish off my cleaning spree I sprayed the antibacterial spray over everything.  Since it's not directly cleaning you just have to have faith that it's killing all those lingering bacteria.  I do, plus I like the smell of it.  Essential oils have tons of therapeutic and antibacterial properties. 

As I use the others and make some more (bathroom cleaner, drain cleaner, and microwave cleaner are in the making) I'll come back and share what I think of each.

For many of these recipes I doubled or tripled the batch in order to fill up the squirt bottle. 

I'm posting a few links to the sites where I found all my information.  There's a lot of good stuff out there, and I hope you'll take the time to read and then make your own cleaners!!!

Happy Cleaning everyone!!!

The Recipe:

All Purpose Cleaner

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon washing soda
1/2 teaspoon liquid castile soap
2 cups hot water
10 drops lavender essential oil

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine all ingredients in a measuring cup and stir to dissolve.  Pour into a squirt bottle.

The Recipe:

Antibacterial Spray

Ingredients:
1 cup water
20 drops lavender, lemon, or orange essential oil (I used lemon and orange for a citrus scent)

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine ingredients in a squirt bottle and shake to combine.

The Recipe:

Fruit & Vegetable Wash

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine ingredients in a measuring cup and stir to dissolve.  Pour into a squirt bottle.

The Recipe:

Glass Cleaner

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup vinegar

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine ingredients in a squirt bottle and shake to combine.

The Recipe:

Grease Cutter

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1/4 cup liquid castile soap
10 drops lavender essential oil

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine ingredients in a squirt bottle and shake to combine.

The Recipe:

Furniture Polish

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup vinegar

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine ingredients in a squirt bottle and shake to combine.

The Recipe:

Disinfectant

Ingredients:
2 cups very hot water
1/4 cup borax
3 tablespoons vinegar
10 drops lemon, orange, or lavender essential oil

Recipe Instructions:
1.  Combine ingredients in a measuring cup and stir to combine.  When the borax is completely dissolved pour into a squirt bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment